3 Tried & Tested Fitness Tips from Kathryn Thomas
A misspent youth watching dozens of episodes of Grand Designs has taught me a few things about building a house.
Here’s 3 common tried and tested routes to failure…
1. No budget… Costs have spiraled out of control and you’re now emptying your children’s college fund to get it finished.
2. No Architect….Oh lord, that wall is in the wrong place!
3. Burnout… You’ve bitten off way more than they can chew. You’ve barely spent an hour with your friends, partner or family over the last 6 months and you’ve grown to hate the building!
It got me thinking… if we can learn more about building a house from Grand Designs, then maybe we could learn about building a healthy body from Operation Transformation?
So I asked Kathryn Thomas…
She’s done 5 series of smash hit show, so she’s seen dozens of contestants succeed and fail along the way. So she’s no doubt picked up a good sense of what works and what doesn’t.
Here’s what actually works for her…
1. Set Goals: If you don’t know what your goals are, you don’t know when to push yourself to get there. Just like how having a budget when you build a house helps you push yourself to keep the costs down!
“I like to give myself fitness goals whether its training for a marathon or a charity event. The toughest challenge I have undertaken was climbing Kilimanjaro!! I think it’s always good to keep yourself on track so I have signed up to a couple of Quest challenges this year too!”
2. Get Yourself a Mentor: You need an architect to build a great house, so it makes sense to have an architect for your body too – someone to provide expert advice and crack the whip when needs be…
“I work out with Matthew or Siobhan in Bodybyrne Fitness. Sometimes you just need that extra kick in the ass!”
3. Make Socialising More Active: I really like this one. Finding time to work out isn’t easy, but doing something active while you’re with friends or spending quality time with your partner in an active way kills two birds with the one stone. Kinda like how some couples in Grand Designs actually strengthen their relationship by building their house together…
“I go spinning with my sister or a girlfriend so we can catch up on the gossip while being proactive! I bike a lot with my boyfriend Padraig and we’ve also done some triathlons together which is fun – we are both very competitive but there is nothing like healthy competition! And by the way, I beat him in our last half marathon!!”
Lastly and most importantly, what’s that ONE THING that causes people to fail?
Turns out that it’s the ability to pick yourself up after setbacks…
“I think when people fall off the nutrition or fitness wagon, they feel so low and it can be intimidating to re establish an old routine if you’ve been out of it for a while. It is about building back up self confidence and self belief and getting people to remember that our bodies are capable of so much more than we give them credit for.”
So be positive and stay strong!
PS: Kathryn has very kindly offered a 10% discount to any Wyldsson customers for Pure Results April and May camps! (Just use code WyldssonResults2016). And yeah, you’ll recognise the nut butters, muesli and trail mixes that they use! 😉