Butternut Squash & Lentil Chilli
I love Butternut Squash, but sometimes struggle to come up with ideas about what to actually do with it! Well voilá, here’s a great quick and healthy recipe from our friend @vegan_surfer for a really versatile dish. Ideal for a “meat-free Monday”!
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
1 x Clove Garlic (finely chopped/crushed)
1 x large red onion (peeled & roughly chopped)
3 x cups of Butternut Squash (washed & chopped into bitesize pieces)
1 x cup Coconut Milk
1 x tin of chopped tomatoes
800ml x water (or stock)
1 x cup Green Lentils
1/2 x cup Frozen Peas
1 x tbps Chilli Smoked Paprika Nut Butter (use almond butter if you’re stuck)
2 x tsp Paprika
1 x tsp Turmeric
1 x tsp Crushed dried Chillies
Small pinch of Cumin
Pinch of Sea Salt & Black Pepper
Salad Greens (to garnish)
1. Heat some Olive Oil in a heavy based saucepan on medium heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes (stirring throughout).
2. Add the Butternut Squash and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic & cook for another minute.
4. Add the Chopped Tomatoes, Coconut Milk, Water, Spices and lentils. Increase the heat & bring to boil,
then reduce heat to low/medium and let simmer for 15 mins (stirring every 5 mins or so)
5. Add the Peas and Nut Butter
6. Stir well and let simmer for another 15 minutes. Add more water if its too thick and play around with the spices if you fancy. Check the Butternut, it should melt in your mouth..🤤 That’s when you know its ready
Sprinkle with the chopped spring onions to serve and a dash of Chilli Picante ProMix on top too if you like… and a spoon of natural yogurt is nice too. Garnish with salad greens. Great with brown rice, naan, quinoa or even just by itself or as an accompaniment to steamed fish or steak.
Top Tip: Freeze or refrigerate the leftovers… they make a great healthy lunch option!
PS: Want to know where to find all of our healthy recipes in one place? Scroll down to the very bottom of any page – you’ll see a link to “Recipes” in the footer.