Why Coconut Oil is Good for You
Coconut oil is stepping out into the spotlight as one of the most powerful superfoods of the year, and coconut oil can help improve your health a numer of different way.
While coconut oil may have received a bad reputation a few years back for being a source of saturated fat, the tables have turned, and now this oil has been deemed as one of the healthiest oils you can have in your diet, and here’s why.
The fats in coconut oil are quite different than other forms of saturated fats. On top of that, new studies are not linking saturated fat to heart disease. (1) This especially goes for healthy fats such as coconut oil.
The trick to coconut oil is to get unrefined, virgin, and organic when possible. Refined and hydrogenated coconut oil is not healthy and often contains trans-fats. If you stick to the unrefined organic version, you could greatly benefit from enjoying this tropical oil!
Here are 8 Reasons Coconut Oil is the Oil of the Year:
- Coconut Oil Has Very Unique Fatty Acids: As it turns out, the fatty acid composition in coconut oil is quite different than other fats. First and foremost, the saturated fat content makes this oil excellent for cooking. Saturated fat is much less likely to oxidize in the pan. Coconut oil also consists of large amounts of medium-chain fatty acids. These fatty acids are unique because they go straight from the digestive tract to the liver. The medium chain fatty acids are very likely to be turned into ketone bodies and used immediately for energy. This is why coconut oil is deemed as such as excellent oil for energy production.
- Coconut Oil can Kill Off Bacteria: Another surprising health benefit of coconut oil is its ability to help kill off bacteria. Coconut oil has also been shown to help fight off fungi and viruses as well. This oil is pretty much your immune systems best friend! The lauric acid in coconut oil is what’s responsible for this immune supporting benefit. Lauric acid has been shown to help fight off pathogens very effectively.
- Coconut Oil Can Help you Lose Weight: Yes, you heard that right. You can eat fat, and lose fat! Coconut oil has actually been shown to help aid in weight loss efforts. Why? Well, it is thought that the those who consume coconut oil have a greater sense of satiety and therefore are less likely to overeat due to the medium chain fatty acid composition of this oil. The medium chain fatty acids have also been shown to increase energy expenditure as compared to longer chained fats. All in all, coconut oil has shown favorable results in assisting in weight loss. Try swapping out oils such as canola, sunflower, and safflower for coconut oil to help boost your chances of weight loss.
- Coconut Oil and Inflammatory Support: Chronic inflammation is becoming a widespread problem and something that can be changed with diet. A study in India found that the high levels of antioxidants found in coconut oil help to not only reduce the inflammation associated with arthritis but maybe even more so than some arthritis medication! Coconut oil may be an anti-inflammatory food that is often overlooked but can significantly help reduce the inflammatory load on the body. (2)
- Coconut Oil & Digestive Support: Did you know that the medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil can help to digest the lipid wall of bacteria? These fatty acids have also been shown to kill the Helicobacter pylori bacteria found in H-pylori and can help fight candida. Coconut oil is also able to help the body absorb fat-soluble vitamins.
- Coconut Oil Can Improve Endurance: Coconut oil is a great option for athletes looking to not only improve their energy but their endurance as well. Not only is coconut oil incredibly easy to digest, but it also produces a long and sustained burst of energy while also speeding up your metabolism. You may even find that many athletes are using coconut oil as their fuel source before long events.
- Coconut Oil Can Give Your Skin a Boost: Looking for healthier more supple skin? Not only is coconut great for moisturization, but it can also help various skin conditions. The caprylic and lauric acid in the oil can help to reduce inflammation associated with certain skin disorders. Coconut oil is also rich in antioxidants which have been known to help the skin heal.
- Coconut Oil For Oral Health: Have you heard about oil pulling? This is where you swish coconut oil is your mouth to help boost oral as well as overall health. While this may sound gross, there may be something to this unusual health craze. Coconut oil is thought to be one of the best oils for oil pulling due to the concentration of antibacterial medium chain fatty acids. Coconut oil can help remove oral bacteria which can significantly reduce your risk of developing periodontal disease.
Coconut oil has so many amazing health benefits and is certainly growing in popularity. Before you start adding coconut oil into your diet, remember to avoid refined and processed coconut oil as refined oil can be bleached. Opt for virgin unrefined coconut oil, and organic whenever possible.
Start using coconut oil as your primary cooking oil, and try adding a tablespoon to your smoothies, or your stir-fry’s. You may be surprised to see how this oil can benefit your health!